It is the responsibility of parents to ensure that their child(ren) arrives to school punctually every day. There are a number of options available to students at St Mary’s Catholic School:
- Walking – The School’s pedestrian gates is open from 8.15 to 8.55am. It is then locked until the afternoon. Whilst the gate is locked please use the intercom system, which will connect you to the Student Hub.
- Cycling – The School has a bike shelter that can accommodate up to 20 cycles. Students must provide their own bike lock to secure their bicycle.
- Train – Students can travel to Bishop’s Stortford rain station (on the Cambridge to Liverpool Street line), which is approximately 15 minutes walk from the School.
- Coach/Bus – There are a range of public and private bus routes available to the school:
- BarkerBus Coaches – This company operates and administers buses to/from St Marys from a variety of locations along the A10 corridor. A full list of routes can viewed on their website at www.barkerbus.co.uk under the ‘Home to School’ section. All bookings and enquiries must be made directly with the company (who also issue the bus passes) at 01279 793 800 or email@example.com. These routes are not shared with students from other schools.
- ACME Coaches – This company operates a public service to St Mary’s. All bookings and enquiries must be made directly with the company at 01279 871 707 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Public Buses – There are a variety of routes that serve Bishop’s Stortford town centre, with various bus stops offered. You can find more information on these from https://www.intalink.org.uk/. Please note Herts County Council operates a Savers Card that entitles pupils to half price travel on public buses. Please apply to Herts County Council at least 3 weeks before starting school.
St Mary’s students are expected to be safe and responsible when using any form of transport. It is essential that students are aware of School Bus and Train Safety and know how to report any concerns of worries that they may have. All students have attended an Assembly regarding behaviour, conduct and how to keep themselves safe on their journey to and from school. St Mary's School Bus Protocol Assembly [link]
To access further information please click on the link: School Bus and Train Rules
Please click on the link: Out of School Behaviour Expectations to access information with regard to the clear expectations from school shared with the students to maintain the excellent behaviour we expect from them.
Method of payment
The cost of bus services, and their payment schedules, can vary as these routes operate under commercial licences. There is no contract with the school. Please contact each company directly.
Eligibility for financial assistance:
Parents on a low income may gain a free place through the County Council. Applications must be made to the Admissions and Transport team, CHR102, County Hall, Pegs Lane, Hertford, SG12 8DQ. The County Council will choose the service it wishes to buy for any eligible pupils.
Herts County Council operates a Savers Card that entitles pupils to half price travel on public buses. Please apply to Herts County Council at least 3 weeks before starting school
To access helpful bus travel information in Hertfordshire for school please click on the following link: Taking the Bus to School
Our school transport coordinator, Mrs Crowhurst, meets the buses each morning and sees all the buses off site in the afternoon.
If you have any additional queries please email email@example.com