School attendance is aimed to be 96% and above for every child. Students with good attendance are happy, thrive and succeed. Please ensure your child aims for excellent attendance and any medical/dental appointments etc are scheduled for after school and holiday times wherever possible so as not to disadvantage their learning.
The Department for Education have emphasised important guidance for schools regarding the taking of any leave of absence during term time. Please be reminded of the following:
- Headteachers may not grant any leave of absence during term time unless there are exceptional circumstances. THIS INCLUDES HOLIDAYS.
- All requests for any exceptional leave of absence must be made in writing to the Headteacher who will consider each individual case
- Any such requests must be made well in advance of the dates of the requirement and before any arrangements are made
- Each parent/carer can be fined (per student) by the Local Authority for taking their child out of school during term time without the consent of the Headteacher
- In some circumstances students may be removed from the roll and therefore lose their school place. We sincerely hope that all parents will support St Mary’s on this matter and recognise the benefits that increased attendance will have on attainment. Further information can be found on the St Marys website: www.stmarys.net under ‘About Us’ Policies and References, School Attendance.